Millions of car accidents and crashes are reported in the US every year. Despite all the talk around on-road safety, drivers often take negligent steps or behave unreasonably, which causes serious and fatal accidents. If you ever have the misfortune of getting injured in an accident in Idaho, you should consider hiring legal expertise. A proficient Idaho car accident attorney can help you recover a fair settlement for your losses. Here are some quick things worth knowing.
What to do after an accident?
- Call the local police and alert them about the accident, even if it looks like a minor blip.
- Call 911 without delay if someone is injured
- Check with an injury doctor to know the extent of your injuries
- Talk to the other drivers and get their contact and insurance info
- Note down the contact details of witnesses at the scene
- Inform your insurer
- Call a lawyer
Do you really need an attorney?
Car accidents are often more complex than people think. Because you have suffered injuries, it is easy to assume that the other party is liable. Even when the other driver was clearly negligent, you must prove the same. Simply put, the burden of proof is on you. If you miss key evidence soon after the accident, it can be hard to find fault and liability. When you are recovering from your injuries, the last thing you would expect is to handle the investigation on your own. An attorney is your best bet at understanding the aspects of the accident. Your lawyer can also offer guidance on how your fault can impact your settlement.
In addition to offering a free assessment of the case, you can expect the lawyer to-
- Communicate with the insurance company on your behalf
- Talk to medical experts and doctors about your injuries and treatments
- Take help from accident reconstruction experts about the case, if needed
- Gather evidence and police reports
- Talk to witnesses for statements
Insurance companies rarely play fair, and if you don’t get an acceptable offer for your injuries and losses, your lawyer can file a civil lawsuit against the at-fault party. There is limited time to do that. The statute in Idaho allows just two years to file such lawsuits after an accident. Get an attorney to focus on all aspects of the case from the start and avoid unwanted mistakes. Most lawyers will be happy to offer a free initial consultation.